Thursday, September 30, 2010

Last day of September???

     Where has the time gone?? And I really should get rid of those nasty snow pictures, the weather here has been beautiful the last few days. Looks like indian summer time. Not that I've seen it, except from the window. I've been like a mole. I have not poked my nose outside since I got here, I'm hoping to get a walk around in sometime today, just to make sure I remember what outside air smells like. It has just been SOOOOO busy this week it's crazy. All I can do now is hope the weekend will be quieter so we can get sort of caught up. Rooms have been in short supply, and we've housekeeping has been working overtime like mad to get rooms turned around so we can put bodies in them. Even had to turn people away the last two days. Amanda has postponed her days off for a week, thank goodness, although I feel terrible that she had to do it.
     I forgot to mention that I found out what the little explosion sounds that I've been hearing are. There are what they call "tailings", which look like a pond, around the process sites. Even though they look like a nice pond, good spot for a drink and a rest for various wildlife, they are not. There's a layer of water and underneath is bitumen. I'm not totally sure what the process is from there, although I know the area does get reclaimed (cleaned up) as I've seen it passing by other camps. Anyway, it does look inviting to wildlife and if they get in there, they die. So there are water cannons continually going off to scare them away. Now that I know we're not under attack, I can rest easy :)
     I worked 12 1/2 hours on Tuesday, and 13 yesterday and I've been awake since 4:30 am thinking about things that I didn't get done and have to do. I'm going to go in at 6:30 and hopefully get a half hour undisturbed in (hahaha - just won't be possible but can always hope!) before I'm actually on duty. I'm expecting to hopefully get it back down to regular hours today, after the initial extra half hour haha. I have definitely come to look forward to "slow" times!
     Well I've sure seen all sides of people this week. Unfortunately, the unhappy and angry ones are the loudest and easiest to remember. However it sure makes our day when someone gives us good feedback. We all appreciate it! Makes me realize how important it is recognize someone for positive things. It seems to take extra effort to do that, but I know that service people, and anyone for that matter, love getting an unexpected pat on the back or an acknowledgement that what they do is appreciated. I will be making an extra effort from now on to do just that!
   

No comments:

Post a Comment