Monday, September 6, 2010

Still raining at Albian Village

    Yep, it's been raining and raining. As you can well imagine, there is pretty much a sea of mud around the camp. Thank goodness I'm not responsible for that clean up! There are disposable booties to put over your shoes/workboots at every entrance, and they do help, but sometimes the guys with big feet can't get them on over their workboots. And sometimes they forget. And sometimes there just aren't any because they haven't been delivered yet. But all in all, it helps a great deal. I'm not looking forward to being out on the room checks today! I'm hoping someone has an umbrella. I need a tool apron, or a change apron like bartenders wear. When I do the room checks, I have stuff falling all over the place. I take a clipboard, key cards for all the rooms that need to be locked out, a pen, (had to get one from one of the camp attendants once), the master key card for the rooms in the village, the hard keys for the rooms in the trailers, metal "boots" to lock out the doorknobs of rooms in the trailers (if needed). The walkie-talkie, in case I get attacked by a bear or something (just kidding!). My cell phone (I use it for a watch, since I forgot mine at home) for the time, so I don't miss lunch :). Also my own ID card, since I don't have a lanyard to put it around my neck yet.
    No, people aren't necessarily too tired to do anything. Guys come to the counter all the time for the equipment like pool cues, ping pong paddles, squash or racketball rackets, golf clubs, badminton rackets etc. They leave their ID until they bring the stuff back. Since you can't get anywhere without ID, it ensures that all equipment gets returned. Also there are various workout classes and activities at the bar etc.
     No, my room is not in the main building. There are no living quarters in the main building. I am in Aspen (or A pod, as it's known around here) dorm E. All the pods are connected to the main building by interior walkways. It is a lot of walking, but that's good for those of us that can't stay out of the pastries :)
     Most people that work here also stay here. There are a few people that live in Ft. McMurray, but that's an hour commute each way, not accounting for traffic problems. And apparently the road into "town" is notorious for traffic backups etc.
     My topic of conversation when I meet someone is a) where are you from and b) how long have you been here. I still feel this life is like being on a cruise ship, except you're not going anywhere, haha. Plus you get to go home every so often. Some of the union guys will work straight through for a couple of months, but pretty much everyone else leaves for their "turnaround". People should have their hometowns on their nametags. Oh yes, I got my nametag yesterday so now I look like a real employee. Yes, the weekends are slow at the front desk, but we did get lots of things cleaned up and ready to go for the week. As it's Labour Day today, a lot of the union guys won't be coming in, so tomorrow will be a big day with arrivals. Wednesdays are the busiest days for arrivals.
     I decided to sleep in, therefore I missed breakfast and will have to go to Tim's for a bagel and hot chocolate. It's just a small coffee shop that features Tim Horton's products, and they only carry donuts, muffins, bagels and the beverages. No breakfast sandwiches, any sandwiches for that matter, or soup or anything like that. They do a booming business though! Everybody seems to need their timmie's.
     I am on 8 days of the 10am to 8pm shift. After that, I get some early ones. REAL early ones. Like the 4am to 2 pm shift. Can't wait for that one.
     Love hearing from people....thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment