Wednesday, September 8, 2010

The busiest day of the week....

     Is Wednesday....hands down. Holy smokes, I put in 11 1/2 hours today and RAN the whole time. Sure makes the time fly, but my feet are just a-throbbin'. I think I need to find a different pair of shoes. Hmm, anyone have any ideas?? They have to be officially "non-slip sole". It's a health & safety thing.
    So, when you are checking in/out hundreds of people in a day, you come across a wide variety of personalities. And that's all I'm going to say about that.
     Two days have gone by and I haven't been outside once. I think it's cool out, but I'd never know it, since I was racing around which of course triggers the old hot flashes, haha. It's kind of embarrassing having my face burning red, but I've learned to deal with it. I want to hurry though, I just feel sorry for these men either checking in after having spent much of the day flying in for some, or 6 or 7 hours driving in, and then having to stand in line to check in, then having to stand in line to get into the luggage room to pick up the stuff they left here. And there's the guys that have worked all day, and now have to stand in line to check out, then stand in line to leave the stuff like tools & such that they don't drag home. There's only so much we can do when a flight of 150 people all gets there at once, and we try to be as prepared as possible, but there's always people that we don't have the reservation confirmation for, and that holds things up while we do what we have to do to get the guy into a room. Then maybe he needs towels (have to get them, and get him to sign them out.) Then maybe he wants a remote for the tv (take a deposit, more paperwork). Then maybe he gets all the way up to his room and his key doesn't work....lots of things to deal with.
     Anyway, life here is kind of like a family of sorts, since most people are away from their families. Even though there are over 2,000 here at any one time, faces start to look familiar very quickly. The servers in the dining room are trying to make me fat, and give me man-size servings, even if I say "Just a little, please!" I'll blame it on them, anyway.
     Most people count down until their "turnaround" - which is the lingo for the time off between rotations. When it gets under a week, you can usually tell. I've only put in half of my time and I can well imagine by the time I have 15 days straight put in I'll be really counting them down too. The time so far has gone by really fast, anyway.
     Aimee comes back tomorrow. I'm anxious for her to get back, and maybe get into Ft. McMurray for a look around next week. I'm interested to see the city, and another sight besides the camp operation!

No comments:

Post a Comment