Saturday, September 11, 2010

Hey hey it's the weekend

     All that really means to me is it's slow at the front desk. Time to catch up on annoying jobs that pile up when it's busy. The slower pace is kind of nice for a change, but I'm glad it's just a couple of days!
     On Tuesday the top executives of the company are paying a visit to the camp, so everyone and everything has to be spitspot. The long-sleeved company blouse, tucked into black dress pants and of course the shoes with non-slip soles!
     Tonight was prime rib, a Saturday staple. I know I keep talking about the food here, but I can't help it. The baker (Sarah) (hey, I wonder if her last name is Lee? Because I'm sure nobody doesn't love her) brought down a plate of lovingly crafted and displayed profiteroles with raspberry cream filling. To my surprise Sarah is a tiny woman. I would have thought someone that bakes like she does might have more girth to her.
     Last night was karaoke at the Albian Lounge. I just caught the last 45 minutes, as the lounge closes and everyone gets kicked out at 10 pm. It was good to see people at leisure and enjoying themselves in a group. And the entertainment was fine. And lots of faces are starting to look more familiar all the time. I can't help it, I am really enjoying this so far! Now if I can just get the food situation under control....
     It's interesting to find out how people came to be working here. One girl said she found the position advertised on Facebook. Another person saw the job advertised online. Some people had either relatives or friends here and thought what the heck, I'll give it a try. However, like I said, it's not the type of life for everyone, and the turnover rate is very high.
     I saw security bringing the drug sniffer (a nice doggie  - but no petting while she's working!) through one of the dorms the other day for the first time. It is zero tolerance here. Get caught, you're out. Which is a good thing, under the circumstances.
     There seems to be a lot of folks from the Maritimes here. And I'm sure they don't think so, but those from The Rock (Newfoundland) have quite a unique way of speaking. I've wanted to go there for some time, and it just makes me want to go even more. Quite a lot from British Columbia, too. Another goal of mine, both coasts of Canada.
     I received a real letter in the mail yesterday! Imagine my surprise as I was sorting the mail, to have an envelope in my hand with my name on it! I was confused for a few seconds...I couldn't imagine I would ever really get mail. Thank you for the long newsie letter, Suzanne! It certainly made my day :)
     Well, the HVAC system has been switched from air conditioning to heating. I guess that means it's the start of it. And the days grow shorter.
     I still enjoy the peeks out of the windows on my daily room check rounds, and I'm going to try and sneak a few pictures in here, as long as security or health & safety doesn't catch me and confiscate my camera.....

No comments:

Post a Comment