Sunday, October 3, 2010

Wild Life at Albian

     Haha, I really meant wildlife, not the wild life! Yesterday morning when I got in to work, everyone was talking about the bear that wandered into camp. I guess it was a cub, and it came right up to the front doors. Security tried to scare it off, and they succeeded, except it ran right through the smoking tent and probably got disoriented and didn't know where to go. I heard that they called the ministry and they came down and got it tranquilized. This was about 3:30 in the morning, I didn't hear a thing. Then this morning, after I got in, security came to the desk and said there was a big bull moose out front. The H&S guy went out to investigate and I was trying to get him to take my camera for a picture....but he said it was gone by the time he got out. So it seems the wildlife is coming in to see what the heck is going on here. Or maybe they just smell food. The joke around here was that they probably got ahold of one security badge and were just passing it around so each species could get in and have a look around.
     Speaking of looks around...I bit the bullet and drove into town last night. I offered Melissa a ride home (she lives in Ft. Mac and takes the bus in and home every day) so she could be my guide and Lena accompanied me as well. We just wanted to get away from camp for a bit and visit the Wal Mart. So we drove 1 hour into Ft. Mac, Melissa took us past the Wal Mart so we knew where it was, then we dropped her off at home (actually Wood Buffalo, which is a suburb of Ft. Mac proper) and headed back to Wal Mart. Might I mention that Lena is no better at directions than me (so she said) and we were worried about getting too far off track, so we ended up having dinner at the McDonald's in the Wal Mart! Next time we'll do it up right. It was great to spend 20 minutes zipping around and picking up a few small items. I bought a pkg of individual yogurts for my room since I have a fridge in here right now. I figured I should make use of it a little. We had a great time, like a couple of kids out past curfew. I thought we should let Melissa know that we arrived back at camp safe & sound, but Lena had a better idea. She called Melissa and asked for her address, told her that we stopped in at The Keg and had a few too many, couldn't drive back and needed to crash at her place for the night. And we were bringing the open wine plus the guys we picked up :) Melissa was a little taken aback for a few seconds, until she realized she'd just been "punked". Poor Lena had to work at 4 am today and we didn't get back here until almost 10 pm. My alarm went off at 5:30 as usual, and I thought I wanted to sleep for another half hour so I reset the alarm for 6 and went back to sleep. I opened a corner of my eye and realized it was sort of light out, which shouldn't be happening at 6 am, so I jumped up and saw that I forgot to SAVE the alarm (I use my cell phone as alarm) and therefore it didn't go off. It was 6:53 and I had to work at 7. Yikes! I was a couple of minutes late but obviously missed breakfast. Good thing I had those yogurts in my fridge!
     So Amanda left me all alone in her job today. I'm sort of in denial about all the things that could go wrong this week, just trying to not think about it. Mid afternoon I asked one of the other ladies if she wanted to go for a smoke break. (neither of us smoke, but the ones that do always get smoke breaks!) So we went out for a walk around the camp for 5-10 minutes and what a beautiful day! The temp was up to 18 degrees today (64 for you Americans) and such a gorgeous, glorious blue sky. It was breathtaking, really. Only had it for about 10 minutes but what a pick-me-up that was.
     It's almost 6:15 and I told Hannah I was coming tonight to do her fitness class at 6:30 and she said she'd write up a personalized fitness plan for me. Here I go!! I actually went and bought a sports bra for the occasion :)
     Take care all, and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment