Saturday, October 2, 2010

5 o'clock mornings....

     I was never a morning person and look at me now, up at 5 every morning. OK, please don't mistake that for enthusiasm, hahaha.
     The other night, there were two incidents of people setting off fireworks just outside two of the pods. One of them mine. HELLO!!!???? This is an oil sands camp!!! There is a refinery just across the street. How stupid can people be??? I was quite upset to hear about that, thinking about these buildings we sleep in, which are essentially modular buildings stacked on top of each other, and how quickly they would go up in flames and got very angry at the recklessness of someone doing that. Ok, that's my rant for the day.
     I did make it outside yesterday, it was beautiful!! I was squinting like a mole of course, not having seen sunlight since Sunday. There wasn't much going on, I didn't see any monster equipment. There's been no rain for a few days so the dust is all over again. The rain was kind of nice, wetting everything down and keeping the dust down.
     I am still anxious to get into town, but just haven't had the chance. Maybe tonight or tomorrow night.
     Last night was "open mic" night at the lounge. I was hoping to go for a bit, but again, these 5 am mornings have me wilted by 7 pm. I just want to crawl into bed after having dinner and getting back to my room. I have been telling Hannah, the rec director, every day that I would be coming to see her to get my workout plan. Then by the time I'm finished my dinner, I'm skulking back to my room hoping I don't run into her.
     Well today is my last day training with Amanda, she leaves tomorrow. I feel pretty confident about most of the things, but I know that next week when the crunch comes I'll be cursing my life, haha. The big problem here is that on Wednesdays we get about 300 people arriving. On Thursdays we get a bunch leaving. That means when they come in on Wed, we are in a room shortage situation. The powers that be are trying to work out a solution to this problem, and I wish I could just change the system, but I can't. After working for a "root cause" man for 7 years, I just want to fix it for good! It just sounds like it's been happening this way since this place existed, and nobody wants to take the initiative to get everyone involved on board and put some policies in place. Oops, I already had my rant for the day and there I go on another one!!
     OK I'm off for breakfast and to get an early start on the workday. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment