Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Welcome home Ryan!

     Yesterday at the airport I started chatting with a nice young gentleman and found out he was just returning home to Windsor area from Afghanistan. I really wanted him to feel welcome and know that there are people out there that appreciate the sacrifice he's made to be there for 8 months. It still makes me so sad and furious whenever I read about more people killed over there. I was very happy that he was returning home to his family and was also remembering young men coming home from other wars that were not warmly welcomed when they got back. No hero's welcome for some and I hate to think that would happen in this day and age. Just wanted Ryan to feel welcome and appreciated and also know that we are all glad you made it home! I hope your adjustment goes well and everything works out for you.
     So the wait at the airport wasn't all that bad. I wandered around to see what choices I had for dinner without leaving the secure area and having to go back through security again. I settled on a restaurant right at the gate where I came in, haha. Had some spring rolls and dumplings then found out there is free wi-fi. I found my gate for the Windsor flight and went online only to find the wi-fi may be free, but not all that great! I had a book so settled in with that, sent a few text messages and also met and chatted with Ryan. Found my car (used the remote starter to pinpoint it, lol) and was at Tina's by 12:30-ish.
     I got to catch up with Caden for a few hours, now Tina and I are going out for lunch and going for a pedicure.
Oh wait, I do have to describe my ride to the Ft. Mac airport yesterday. Mark the driver was supposed to take me in, but he was running late from his earlier errand so the company ordered a cab for me. Well, first of all the cabs are not allowed to drive into the camp so I had to drag my luggage down the dirt road from the core building to the security gate. Also, I didn't bring my big winter coat because I wouldn't need it here yet. So I was in a sweater. It was snowing. Ok, so luggage loaded in the cab and off to the big city, haha. Well this driver was a very nice man, difficult to understand because of his accent, but nice. However, he was the worst, absolutely worst cab driver I've ever come across. Weaving all over the road and ALMOST rear-ended another vehicle. It was a very very close call, he slammed on the brakes and skidded around the truck, but scared the life out of me (and himself, I think). It didn't scare him from plugging in his i-phone and had it sitting on his lap, ear phone in, and wandering over the center line....I finally just closed my eyes. I figured if I'm going to be in an accident, I don't want to see it coming. I actually gave him a tip when we got there. Not much of one, but I was glad that he didn't kill me.
     Anyway, I'm home now and scheduled very tightly so may not get another change to check in until I'm back in camp!

No comments:

Post a Comment