Saturday, November 6, 2010

Saturday, Nov 6

     That is unbelievable. My life is flashing right before my eyes! Soon the U.S. Thanksgiving and Aimee's birthday will be rolling by. Oh speaking of birthdays, my grandmother is going to be 97 in a week or so. Sorry gram, to give the secret away, but I am so lucky, proud, and blessed to have you in my life! A remarkable lady. Miss you!!!
     Well the week of being so busy and so short-staffed has been taking it's toll. Lena and I got into the giggles the last couple of days. You know, when EVERYTHING is funny. My word, people will be thinking we're nuts, or in one guy's case, thinking we've been hitting the bottle heavily. We were just heading in a door, he was just coming out, and we had the giggles about something or other. It was obvious what he thought the next morning when he ran into Lena at the front desk and asked her how she was feeling now. Of course, that turned into something really funny too. What's really making me giggle is that Amanda is back tomorrow to come back to work on Monday. That means I can get off my butt at the computer all day and start running around again. Maybe even get outside. I have gotten outside a couple of times this week, but I'm ready to put my apron and running shoes on and get moving!
     So apparently there is a national poppy shortage, and we got poppy stickers to wear instead of the traditional. Hmm. I'm not quite sure about this. On the plus side, no straight pin to be poking you or always falling out. However, how many times I can take this sticker on and off my shirts is another story. I'm thinking by Remembrance Day it will just be a memory :)
     I really can't believe the weather we're having here. It's been unseasonably warm. Many days, warmer than back home. I had one guy check in and he was telling me that he had been working here for 3 years to the day. I think it was on Nov 2. He said his first day here 3 years ago, it was -40 when he arrived at camp. It's been staying above the freezing mark, into the double digits some days. I looked at the forecast for next week and I see lots of days with snowflakes on them though. Winter will soon be upon us. One of the girls here lives north of here in an isolated communi, and all summer can only fly home, but once winter sets in, the ice roads are available and then she can drive home. That was pretty confusing for me, but apparently there are lots of rivers and no bridges, so there is no road until everything is frozen over. How crazy is that?? I told her I expected to see her on that tv show about ice truckers.
     So I'm off to work, hope everyone has a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment