Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Tuesday- it's the new Wednesday!

     At least it is here and at the front desk! With the shift from the bulk of the guests being in the construction side to being in the operations side. Construction arrivals are on Wednesdays, but they will probably all be gone by the end of the year, if not before. It's just craziness now on Tuesdays. And of course, the darn subcontractors just can't get together and we still have the problem of hundreds arriving on Tuesdays, and then hundreds of others departing on Thursdays. So of course on Tues and Wed there are more people arriving than rooms inside so.........yep, checking them into the trailers.
     On another topic, Tom and I went into town yesterday. I was telling people that I was going to go in and asked if they wanted anything. That gave me quite a list of things to pick up for other people, as well as my own list. We made good time in though, got the shopping done quick and Tom decided that we'd go over to the Newfie Club for dinner. I think it's actually called the Newfoundlander's Lounge and Dining, or something like that, but affectionately known as the Newfie Club. I had a down-home dish of pan-fried cod with scunchions, peas and mashed potatoes. I don't normally eat much fish, but this was delicious. And scunchions - well....first off they look about the size of half of a crouton. They are very crunchy. What they are is fatback - or like cubes of a thick cut of bacon that is fried with the fish to give it flavour, then piled on top to eat with it. Now I'm sure that's not very good for you (hahahaha) but very tasty. Apparently they like to eat that for breakfast too.
     Aimee arrived back at camp today. She left London in the pouring rain, and got back here to -13 degrees and snow. At least she didn't get the -30 that I came back to! Speaking of temperatures....on the ride to town yesterday, Tom was telling me that he heard the winter was supposed to be like last winter here. I said...and what's that like? He said not bad, kind of like this weather. Last year they only got to -40 and only for a short time. ONLY -40. He said when he first came here it was in the -50's and for a couple of months. Had to shut the whole site down due to the temperatures. But he said -40 out here is like -20 at home. Well -20 is pretty darn cold to me!! Yes I am so looking forward to experiencing that!
     The new meal access cards take effect tomorrow. Those little tiny card that's about 1/4 of the size of the regular room keys. Everyone will be required to scan in to the dining room now, and the lunch room. I think it's a good thing, it will keep people who are not staying at the village from getting "free" meals. Nobody likes change though, so sure to be lots of complaining going on!
    
    

No comments:

Post a Comment