Sunday, November 28, 2010

Grey Cup Sunday!

     OK, the only reason I knew this was because of the flyers around camp advertising for the Grey Cup party in the bar this evening. They were bring up pub food for the occasion and I thought what the heck, I'm up for a little grease lol. They had battered zucchini and mushrooms, jalapeno poppers, several different varieties of chicken wings, onion rings, pizza, nachos and of course, fresh veggies to round it all out :) Sarah had 3 cakes, one was an awesome replica of a football, and the other two were even more awesome replicas of the opposing teams' helmets.
     Had a fire alarm this afternoon. People were heading into the gymnasium and some of us thought rather than fight the crowd to get in there, we'd go outside, it looked like a fairly nice day and it stopped snowing. As soon as we got outside though, the H&S guy came out and herded us back to the gym since it was -15. That's the cutoff temp for having to go outside. That killed about a half hour until we got the all clear sign to go back to what we were doing.
     So I changed rooms again. LOL I haven't even been here a week yet and I've been in 3 rooms. I think I explained why I moved the first time (can-mate with the 6 or 7 alarms to get her up starting at 2 am since she's on the 4 am shift) and I moved into the adjoining room with Amanda, which was great. Then on Friday a fire warden room in C became available. It's right across the hall from Lena's room so now we can have our tea (some day when we're not on opposite shifts again) and fireside chats and not have to travel too far to get home :)
     I really can't believe I packed up all my stuff twice, and unpacked and settled in three times in 5 days. Oh boy. At least now I will be able to keep this room for up to 14 days when I'm off. I've already got a shopping list starting of some little things that will make this more convenient (like a plastic drawer bank and some dividers or baskets for the shelves in the cupboard. And this room is a little bigger than the last 2 I was in. Not real big like my favourite E319 room, but not bad. Only problem is the guy that had this room for the last 4 years was a smoker and I'm sure he smoked in this room. So I had to air out and Febreeze and I got rid of the duvet and the pillows and got new ones and I talked to the maintenance guy today and they are going to run the ionizer to clear the air when I go home next time. Next I'm going to try to switch out the curtains and the desk chair. Look at me go!
     Everyone seems to be in a kind of downer this week. I want to get something going to bring up the spirits. Not sure what yet, but I love a challenge!
     So if I had to guess, I'd say we have about 6-8 inches of snow. A nice white blanket over all the dirt makes it look great, and of course on all the evergreen trees is very pretty too. I'll try and get a picture in tomorrow.
Sunrise and sunset comparisons:
Stratford -      Sunrise 7:33, Sunset 4:50
Ft. MacKay - Sunrise 8:31, Sunset 3:54
So we are down about 2 hours of daylight here so far.
     It does feel nice that I sort of have a "room of my own" even if I have to battle out the stale smoke smell for a while! I know people....I'm sure I can sweet-talk some of them into helping me out, LOL.

No comments:

Post a Comment