Tuesday, May 3, 2011

An extra day for me!

     Well, ok, I have an extra day only because I didn't realize that my flight back was on May 4, not May 3 until I went to check in online! That resulted in a frantic call to my boss to request a vacation day....but could not reach her! Could not reach anyone at camp! Come to find out, there was no phone or internet at all at camp, as the communication line had been cut somehow. Good thing for cell phones... So I am sitting here with an unexpected surprise day off...but let me back up a little
     My flights home were almost the worst lineup I've had. Left Ft. Mac at 8:40 pm on April 23. Flew to Edmonton, arrived shortly after 9 pm. Sit in Edmonton airport until ten after midnight. This is the long red-eye to Toronto. As luck would have it, the flight was FULL and I was assigned an aisle seat near the back of the plane (even though I checked in 24 hours earlier!!). In the middle seat was a man...not an overly large man, but a man-size man. In the window seat was a young mother with a child in her lap. I discovered that people in the middle seats are entitled to the armrests, since they are stuck in the middle seat. And if you are in an aisle seat, you can't really have that armrest either, as there is a lot of traffic down the aisle, especially if you are near the back of the plane. That's where the bathrooms are, and also the carts for the flight attendants. To say the least, I did not get any sleep time at all. Then arrive in Toronto, around 5:30 a.m. local time, April 24. Another wait in the airport...about 2 hours. By this time, I was having trouble keeping my eyes open, as it had been over 24 hours since I had slept. Flight left Toronto at 8:10 a.m. for London. That flight is only about 35 minutes long, and I fell asleep on that one, finally. Then arrive in London just before 9 am and had to drive the 45-50 minutes to Stratford and home to my own bed! I had a couple hours of sleep, then went to start calling my family to say I'm home and Happy Easter. What? No dial tone on my phones. Just a message flashing that said "Check TEL line". And what? No internet either. A call to the service line at my phone company assured me that someone would be around the next day (Monday). Monday comes and almost goes, still no sign of repair guy. Another call to phone company. Oops, Tuesday is their usual day to come to Stratford. So now I spend another day waiting for repair guy. Actually he did show fairly early on Tuesday, only to discover it was not THEIR problem, it was a problem with the Bell line. Anyway, in the end, it was Wednesday afternoon before my service was restored. And it has rained every single day (wait-I don't think there was any rain yesterday) I have been home. I did manage to get my front lawn trimmed and cut but that's all.
     Kylee spent the night with me last Monday night. We watched "Bumbo" and ate popcorn in my bed. Julie spent the night with me last Thursday night. We watched the Royal Wedding and drank tea and ate cinnamon rolls in my bed. Spent some time with Tina and family, had belated Easter dinner with family in Michigan. It has been an eventful time home. As I was expecting to be leaving for camp today, I had everything ready to go so today really is a free day! Even if it is unseasonably cold and definitely raining, I intend to enjoy every minute of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment