Thursday, May 19, 2011

Just when you thought it was safe...

     ....the wind changes. I went to bed last night it was clear as a bell, no smoke to be seen. Woke up this morning in a cloud of smoke. Could barely see the sun. Which of course gave rise to all sorts of rumours, one of which I was guilty of. All ESS staff were called to a manditory meeting 8:15 a.m. to be told that Shell was pulling all their non-essential staff out (ESS is considered essential staff) and that anyone with respiratory problems or any women that were pregnant would be put on a bus. To where? They had no answer. It sounded kind of like an evacuation to me. Anyway, turns out it is business as usual for us, although some staff flew the coop as soon as they had the chance. I could have myself, as I have asthma, but I am not really feeling any effects and plus I checked flights, and to get a flight out of Ft. Mac today - cheapest way out, to Toronto, was going to cost $1400. I have my inhalers and if it does get worse, I can always bum a ride out with someone. I did not want to get on a bus to some unknown destination so decided to wait it out. It is not a fire danger, only air quality because the wind changed direction. For a while it let up today, and it looked almost clear, but tonight it's back again. Stinks something awful. The sun is an orangey-pink ball. A lot of guys left today as they are "non-essential" but otherwise, work goes on. There will be a few service interruptions (the bar is closed as the big exhaust fans are pulling in the smokey air) and no Menu Express tonight because we don't have a delivery person. A couple of our staff left so we are short staffed, I'll be putting extra time in today. The eyes burn a bit now and then, and I had to insist that security stop people from propping the front doors open (duh!) as the front desk was catching it every time people are going in and out anyway....let alone keeping the doors open. I went out to take a picture but there really is nothing interesting to see, it just looks like a light fog. And of course the orangey-pink sun. If anyone has read Stephen King's "The Dome" you will know what a creepy feeling that is :)
     So that is where things stand at the moment. Hope for a change in the wind direction!

No comments:

Post a Comment