Monday, May 30, 2011

Happy Memorial Day!

     Yes, I'm still at home. The air quality has only gotten worse since I left on May 23, and my doctor has advised that going back before it improves is "not wise" due to my asthma. So I am waiting to see if I will be able to work part time from home or what the story is. In any case, I will be here for a while. The weather forecast shows rain June 8-9, so hopefully that will put out the fires! The really big fire is north of camp, and that is the one that is dangerously out of control and the smoke is affecting Albian. I have seen pictures that people have posted on Facebook or emailed to me and it's worse than when I was there for sure. I hear they have installed charcoal filters on the big rooftop units and it has improved the indoor air quality, but I know that with the offices right near the main front doors there is just no way to keep it all outside. One of the other big camps was evacuated - twice - but are supposed to be going back today I think. The second time was actually because of fire danger, but a fire break was constructed and held the fire back. I am going to try and post a picture that was emailed to me, it is very tiny so not sure how it will show up, but it is basically the same location as the one I posted earlier from the A pod parking lot.
     We had a terrific lightning/thunder/rain storm last night. Incredible lightning show and monsoon-like rains. Well, at least it is what I think a monsoon would be like. The air was so dark with the heavy rain that I could not see the trees back behind my lot. Wish I could send this wet weather to northern Alberta! Nothing but sunshine in the forecast for weeks there, even though the sunshine is not getting through the smoky air on many days.
     I will update!

No comments:

Post a Comment