Monday, May 9, 2011

It really is Monday today...

     Every day is a Monday in this world. Except the last day of work before your rotation. Then it's Friday. Sometimes it's hard to keep the days straight. I would be lost without my cell phone, which always has all those details handy.
     I went to "the barge" for a BBQ with Aimee and friends on Saturday night. I guess this is a frequent activity in suitable weather; a night away from camp - food, beverages and no work topics allowed. Luckily it was early enough in the season that there were only a few mosquitos, but I hear it's horrible once they come out in full force, being in the middle of nothing but trees and muskeg. On the drive over from camp (it's about 15 min drive) I saw my first bear! We saw him/her foraging just out of the trees and pulled the car over to get a picture. The bear noticed the car of people staring at him/her, and started to lumber over, probably hoping to get a snack. At that point Jen decided it was time to go....especially since she was sitting on the side of the car with the open window - closest to the bear. I'm not really sure why they refer to the bonfire area as "the barge", as there were no barges in sight, nor did it look like any kind of landing. The procedure was obviously down pat, from setting up the BBQ to starting and keeping the bonfire burning. It was still a bit chilly for me, but as long as I hugged the fire, all was good.
     Aimee surprised me with a beautiful orchid plant for Mother's Day. I'm going to try keeping it on my desk at work, since I'm there most of the time. However, as the room is window-less, it may not work. And I hope all the moms out there had a wonderful Mother's Day yesterday.
     We had a lot of arrivals yesterday, so occupancy today will definitely be boosted. I'm working noon-10 pm for the next few days, so back into the swing of assisting guests. There were a lot of new hires, first time to this camp yesterday. It's refreshing, because so many seem impressed with the size and amenities at this camp. There are a lot of small, older camps around and this one is newer and does offer much more than some of those. It's a nice change from the ones that complain about everything, makes for a much easier shift. Working a later shift gives me opportunity to get some laundry done (machines are ususally available during the day) and also I can still get in a morning exercise class!

No comments:

Post a Comment