Saturday, January 1, 2011

Happy 2011!

     Hi all! Hope all my friends and family had a safe and happy transition into 2011. Here at camp a handful of us rang in the new year with a toast and the traditional greeting. As everyone lives in a different time zone, there were happy new years all evening, starting at 8:30 (midnight in Newfoundland). Yeah, I never could figure out that half hour difference for Newfoundland time, but the Newfies in the group were all calling 8:30 the new year.
     It's been very quiet, which is a really good thing, as we have only had 4 front desk staff (including myself in the reservations role right now) to hold down the fort these last few days. And one of those people just started on Tuesday! The next week will be crazy, because of the reservation system, we really don't know how many people are arriving and when, but we know we'll pretty well be up to full steam by the 5th at the latest. That means probably 1200 or so people arriving over the next 4 or 5 days. Hahaha! Oh well, there are over 800 rooms on hold, so we know all those people coming back will have a room, and that makes it easy.
     There have been a lot of changes in housing, but I think it will really be a good thing, as some of the things we were doing needed updating and streamlining, so it feels like "out with the old, in with the new". Myself, I like to move the furniture around. Since I can't really do that here, I started cleaning out the back room. We have recently done it to accommodate another desk back there, but I think more would be beneficial. We need more storage space, and we need to quit moving around things that are no longer needed (outdated or redundant). A good clean sweep is always uplifting! Speaking of sweeping....the luggage room A is very dirty and dusty, so maybe that will be on the agenda for today, lol.
     Chef had a lovely dinner last night, there was a seafood casserole (not for me, I'm not a seafood eater) but everyone was exclaiming how delicious it was, with lobster, scallops and large shrimp in a cream sauce. There were also roasted Cornish hens, beef short ribs, pizza, spaghetti, wild rice, various vegetable selections, roasted potatoes, gravy. All very yummy.
     I am off to breakfast, then start work at 7. Temperature here last night was -25. I haven't poked my nose outside since I arrived here last Sunday, so I wouldn't have known! I did notice though that at 8:30 you could see that it was almost dawn. Nice to see how quickly the days will get longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment