Monday, December 27, 2010

Yep....back in the Mac

     Arrived back at camp around 1 am this morning. I thought I worked at 8 am, but something made me call down to the front desk when I got in and check. No, I was to start @ 6 am. So needless to say, I didn't get much sleep last night! And my room was WAY too warm. I don't know who cranked my baseboard heater up, but I guess it's not really cold right now (only -17, or 0 F) compared to when I left (-30) so maybe it was just catching up. It's a real ghost town around here. Only about 400 + people at camp right now, compared to usually at least 2,000. The dining room is 2/3 blocked off, with everyone sitting in just the center section, and that's not even crowded. This morning, from the time I came in at 6 until about 10, I think I had 6 people. And wow, our staffing looks way different. Of the people in the picture I posted way down below, I think there are only 3 of us still here. Lena has left, Amanda B has left, Hilary is gone, Joanne is gone, Little Katie is not coming back, Thelma left today, and is coming back in a different role, not front desk, our perky little Aussie rec director Hannah is gone. I know it's the nature of the place for people to come and go, it just seems really weird that of 10 housing associates, I started Aug 31 and am 3rd on the seniority list. Personally, I'd like to see more attention paid to retention of staff, but then what do I know, haha.
     Well not much has changed around the camp. No trailers are in use, not needed. All the Christmas decorations are still up. There are no lines in the dining room. I'm just glad to have a few days to catch my breath (Amanda S left this afternoon on her days off, so I'm reservations again) before ramping up. I keep hearing that the sites are going to be really expanding in January, so it will be busy busy again within the week. Aimee comes in on Wednesday, and everyone that is here now (almost all of the ESS staff) that were here for Christmas are going out on Wednesday, and everyone that was home for Christmas are all coming back on Wednesday. Apparently there will be a "fancy dress" New Year's Eve party. I brought my new heels!
     We have some new front desk staff, one started last week, one starts tomorrow, another one next week. I'm apparently going to be the "trainer" for the new staff. That's ok, we're developing a formal "training manual" and I'm helping with that too. At least things will be more standardized for when the many new staff start, haha.
     So we just passed the shortest day of the year, the winter solstice, on Dec 21 so now the days will start to get longer. Right now:
     Stratford sunrise:    7:55 am
                    sunset:     4:54 pm
     Fort Mac sunrise:   9:01 am
                     sunset:    3:51 pm
It was lightly snowing today, making the roads a little slippery for people driving in. OK I am off to unpack!

No comments:

Post a Comment