Saturday, December 11, 2010

31 Below and Falling....

     Oh ok, it's not falling. It's actually supposed to warm up, to a whopping high of -17 by Monday. With the wind chill factored in, it feels like -44 right now. Now that I'd actually know, LOL. I have managed to avoid going outside since my shopping trip into town last week.
     Last night was the Albian Village Christmas Party at the lounge. The guy that was supposed to play his guitar and sing to entertain us got laid off this week, so Christmas Karaoke was the fill in. I had to work until 8, and then get back to my room and pretty up so barely got to the lounge before last call at 8:45. Luckily Aimee got me a couple of spiced rum & eggnogs, because the line was right across the bar for last call. It was nice to see everyone dressed up. I only got the picture of our youngsters dressed up at the tree, because I only had my phone for a camera and it doesn't have flash. Too dark in the bar. And to get a chance to dress up. However, the dress shoes I brought to go with my dress are past their "best before" date, unbeknownst to me". Ok, I probably did beknownst it, but with my memory, I'd forgotten. They are strappy black "kitten heels" and I really like them, but the one strap that actually holds them on my feet is stretched out beyond hope, so after shuffling like an old granny for a ways, I finally took them off and walked in my stockings to the bar. I'll tell you, I have class, man!  And I must apologize to Aimee for making her wait around thinking I was actually slotted in to sing. I would think you'd know me better. I guess you didn't really expect me to wear my Christmas goose vest to work either though, did ya?
     Well there has been a bunch of guys getting laid off for a few weeks, so lots of check outs this week. And the temp has been so cold with the wind chill that the mine has been shut down early several times this week.
     I really scored this week, was offered a few fridges from guys that didn't know what to do with them when leaving. One I gave to Amanda, and another I told I'd store it until he comes back from lay-off at the end of January. And another guy gave me a $2 winner lotto ticket (I should cash that in tomorrow, and get another ticket) He said if it won over $1000, I would have to split it with him, haha. And I got a nice pen from some guys' company. Tis the season, I guess!
     Did I mention that it's really COLD here??? I mean, I do like to keep my room on the cool side, because I sleep better in a cold room, but this is nuts! I don't think the furnace is kicking in at all, so just using my little baseboard heater. It's right under the window - which, by the way, has about a half inch of ice build up inside it right now - so it seems most of the heat coming off it is getting sucked right up to the non-thermal non high efficiency windows. Now it's also just under the desk, so everything that is in my desk drawer is nice and toasty warm. And when I am sitting here at the desk, I put my feet on the heater so they are mostly warm, but boy oh boy the bed is COLD. And I just went to the cupboard to get my pajamas and they are FREEZING! I opened the desk drawer to put my pj top in to warm up, kinda like a warming oven, haha. The pj bottoms I just spread over my lower legs as they are propped up on the heater. As soon as they are warmed up, I'm jumping into them and into bed.
     Ok, I just checked the weather network and yes indeed, the temp did fall another degree, it is now -32. Cheers!!

No comments:

Post a Comment