Thursday, April 7, 2011

The rude awakening...

     Yep, that's what you call it at 5:30 am on your day to sleep until 6 am and the fire alarm goes off. Now, I am in a fire warden room, but haven't yet had my training. That's next week. After that, when the fire alarm goes off during the night, it means I have to don the vest, hard hat and flashlight, grab the clipboard and stand in the hall and yell "EMERGENCY!", then take attendance at the muster point. I don't think very many actually even left the building this morning, which would have really made me cranky, had there been a fire and had these people burned up in their beds.
     It's only day 6 of 22 today. I already feel like burnt toast, this is not going to be good. Camp is burgeoning again and I've been putting in 12, 13 hour days :( And I've also been subjecting myself to Ed Cotter's exercise classes. Only 2 so far, but I'm thinking those evening classes will give me an excuse not to get up and walk/run at 5 am. The first class was a core class (meaning working the core muscles front and back, the deep muscles under the abs). I found it tough to get through, feeling like a wuss and whining alot, but I did my best. I figured I wouldn't be able to move the next day, so I was very pleasantly surprised when I hardly felt the effects the next morning. The day after THAT, however, was a whole different story. I couldn't wait for Ed to get in (he is sharing office space with me right now) so I could tell him how much I hated him. Then he had the gall to LAUGH at me about it. Then that happened to be the day that deliveries had to be made to every room in the village. What, no staff available to make the deliveries? Oh, I guess that meant Amanda, myself and Trish. Off we went with a luggage cart full of Shell sponsored guest survey packages, and also the pamphlets and envelopes from Election Canada (so everyone gets a chance to vote in the Federal election, even if they are away working in an isolated location). Each of us took a floor, and did dorms A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J, K, L, M, N, O. 44 rooms per floor. Open every door and put in the required materials. Took almost 4 hours of sweat-inducing labour. We decided at that point not to do C pod, which would have been P, Q, R, S, T, U, V, W, X, and Y. Someone else could get those done! I was apparently much slower than the other two, as we pretty much all finished at the same time, and on 3rd floor dorms L, M, and N were pretty much vacant. But I used my advanced age as an excuse, I mean I am old enough to be the other two girls' mom! I've been pulling the age card a lot lately, it seems :)
     Camp is pretty much full again. Of course, we did not have advance warning about it, and because camp had been so empty last week, there were layoffs of camp attendants and kitchen workers. Plus for some reason again the front desk is short staffed. Argh!! We have two new people starting this weekend, but it will take a few days to get them trained and ready to go, so we have to endure this for about another week yet.
     The weather has been great here. Much warmer than at home I see. This morning when I checked it was -7 in Stratford, and right on the freezing mark 0 degrees here. And here is the latest sunrise/sunset info:
     Stratford     sunrise 7:20
                       sunset 7:40
     Ft. Mac      sunrise 6:39
                       sunset 8:16
     Yep, we're galloping on to those long days.

No comments:

Post a Comment