Thursday, June 2, 2011

Meanwhile, back at the ranch.....

     OK, back at the camp....I had word that yesterday and the start of today were beautiful, smoke-free, clear skies. I was starting to wonder if I'd get the summons to go back to work, then next thing I hear...they are evacuating the camp. I guess the fire is close (within 2-3 kilometers, or about 1 mile, 1 1/2 miles), and the winds picked up to 40km hr, and they made the decision that everyone had to get out. I'm not real sure exactly what's happening with everyone, but I know that Aimee is going to another camp about 45 minutes away, and the hourly (union) staff are being bussed to Edmonton or Calgary. The buses were leaving tonight. I am eternally grateful that I am not there right now, and have the opportunity to keep working from home. I'm updating procedures and things that need to be up to date, and I can do that from anywhere. Just one of those things that keeps getting put off because nobody can find the time to do it, so it's perfect to keep me busy. Aimee starts her days off on Sunday so she just has a few days of the evacuation to deal with. It is just so crazy that they can't get the last couple of fires under control. With the wind picking up, of course it is not helping at all. Most of the fires were contributed to natural causes (lightning) but there are a few that have been traced to humans.
     Anyway, my thoughts are with those back on site and hope everyone is safe and in a safe place!

No comments:

Post a Comment