Saturday, March 19, 2011

Crazy week at Albian!

     It seems it's always a crazy week at Albian. Things just can never stay settled. We had a full complement of staff....well that didn't last. People leaving on their days off and sick leave and holy smokes....we're at the other end of the scale again. Menu Express is getting off to a great start, seems people want room service and are willing to pay for it! However it takes one staff out of our front desk mix because that person is delivering. And I just didn't have time to update the blog while I was working.
     Occupancy is sort of low, but it doesn't seem to ease up the workload any. I haven't been out all week either. I was going to try and get into Ft. Mac one night, but just couldn't do it. Not with my 5 am wake up. Yes, now it's 5. I'm doing more walking/jogging so I need extra time. It's going well though, I'm feeling strong! (ok, that may be an overstatement) It seems that more people are getting on the fitness bandwagon, but at 5 am there aren't too many on the walking track or at the gym :)
     I was just sitting here and realized that I look into the next dorm. I mean, I've always known that, but I thought how nice it would be to have a view out a window that doesn't look into another window. Oh well, I like my cozy room. My camp attendant has been very nice and I washed my sheets yesterday and just put them on the bed to make up later after work, and she did it for me! I know she would normally have to change the sheets on the bed anyway on Friday, but I figured since I had my own that was like a "stay off the grass" type sign.
     Wow, international events are going crazy. I normally try and keep my head out of the real world while I'm here, but I am overhearing lots of people talking about Japan, and Libya, and closer to home...the fire in Listowel that destroyed a downtown building and took the lives of 2 firefighters. That happened this week. So tragic for so many people in the world.
     One of our front desk staff, a very nice young lady, is en route to her birth country of Ethiopia right now, for a 3 week visit. She's been so excited, hasn't been there for 7 or 8 years I think she said. She's with her father (who hasn't been back in 15 or so years) and her best friend. She's anxious to connect up with family and tour the country. I told her she should do a blog of her trip, as many people are anxious to hear about it. Bon Voyage and safe travels, Tigist!
     I have decided to purchase an e-reader. You know, an electronic book reader. I was so against them, I always said I needed to feel the book, and turn the pages and I would NEVER switch over. Then Tina got one for her birthday. I held it, read a page, turned the page and I was hooked. How convenient for my travels! I won't have to lug 2 or 3 books in my carry-on luggage to keep me company on the plane and in airports. Also, the model I am looking at allows you to borrow library books...any time, any where! And books to purchase are very reasonable...new releases usually go for under $10. You can carry hundreds of books around with you in a device the size of a notepad. Half full. Anyway, that is my mission and my gift to myself!
     Sunrise sunset times are almost exactly even. Stratford - sunrise 7:29 am, sunset 7:34 pm. Ft. Mac - sunrise 7:30 am, sunset 7:36 p. It will swing around until we are getting 2 or more hours of sunlight more than back home by June. Take care all!!

No comments:

Post a Comment