Monday, August 30, 2010

clear blue skies....

     My first full day today. I didn't have to start until 9 am, and the online Construction Safety Training System took about 7 hours. If I had to do that kind of stuff all day, every day, I wouldn't be here!!! But I can capably answer questions about trenching, scaffolding, fall arrest, defensive driving, ladder safety and a few other safety subjects. Now tomorrow I have to be at the Shell orientation at 6:15. AM. Yes, as in, 6:15 in the morning. Apparently that will last a few hours, then I have to do the ESS (my employer) orientation, THEN I begin training on my actual job. I did get a few pictures, I think all the titles explain. The map sort of gives an idea of the layout. Each of these wings are 3 stories, and each floor has 44 rooms. And each floor has a laundry room (which is free. They supply detergent too, but Aimee says it's harsh (for work clothes I guess) and she brings her own). Also each floor has two fire wardens and it's their job to make sure everyone gets out if there's a fire alarm.
     I guess I had better clear up some misconceptions here....I did not move here! I am working here, and I will do a 21 day stint, then have 7 days off when I will fly home. The company gives a travel allowance to help cover the cost of flights home. Probably won't cover it all, but a good chunk of it. I am expected to stay at least 6 months, but there were no length of service clauses in my contract. I think a big part of the decision to come here was for the money, because it's a little better than decent :) Also, the challenge of it. I'm really excited to be a part of it, it seems like everyone does have fun and enjoys being here, or they wouldn't be! The people I've met so far all seem really nice, friendly and easy to get along with.
    The weather today was very nice, although I don't go outside at all. Temp is 15 degrees now, (59 for you Fahrenheit people) and clear blue skies. I understand that there's a real heatwave going on back home! Enjoy!
    Take care all, and I'll check in again tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment