Wednesday, September 7, 2011

A resurgence of summer...

     Yep, we're having a heat wave here. 27 degrees (or 81 F for my American family and friends) at 7:30 pm. I haven't hardly been out of the building, except for yesterday. Just when you think your day can't get any worse, there's a fire alarm! On the bright side, it was not the middle of winter, -15 degrees and 3 a.m. I was just really busy and was chomping at the bit for the all-clear sign. We had to be standing outside for at least 40 minutes. Nice bright sunshine, I think I even got a little burn on my face.
     Got some really bad news last week. Our beloved rec director Ed is leaving us. *Insert crying face here*. Today was his last day. He'll still be staying at camp here, but with a different company and doing an outside labourer job. We will miss him sorely. Sara the baker made a great dumbbell cake, which I will get a picture of tonight when we say our farewells to him at the bar.
     We are hopping at the village the last few days. Back to the old days of being out of rooms and running like crazy. It's kind of funny, as none of the front desk staff (well, maybe one that started last November) have ever seen camp this full and crazy. There will be no more complaints of boredom for a while. When those slow days do come around, you definitely enjoy and take advantage, after a stretch like this. I just think of it as job security, haha.
     I am on my wind-down here, only 5 more days to work and I go home again. It's been a busy one, and I don't think I've been to town yet. I'm kind of disturbed that I don't remember if I've been to town....but I'm pretty sure not. Will be heading in tomorrow with Jen though.
     So I thoroughly embarrassed myself at karaoke the other night. Yes, I have been dodging that bullet since I got here. Playing along when people start bugging "are you going to sing" I always say yes. I pick out a song, pretend to fill out a request form, then I sneak out before the inevitable. However.....this last time, with the "help" of a "friend" who actually filled out the request form, then physically held me down so I couldn't leave....I had to sing a duet with one of the young H&S guys. We gave them "Something To Talk About". It was bad, and when I looked around all I could see where cameras and iphones recording the event for posterity. Yes, it was bad. Oh well. It's not like I'll ever run into any of these people at home!!
   

No comments:

Post a Comment